Not so long ago, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reportedly promised in Dakar to "fight against those who want to justify violence against the religion of Islam."
Not a word about "violence perpetrated by Muslims in the name of Islam." No, the UN Secretary-General is apparently only ready to fight violence committed against Islam.
"We will fight against those who want to justify violence against the religion of Islam and we will promote understanding among the Alliance of Civilisations. We will strengthen cooperation between the OIC (Organisation of the Islamic Conference) and the United Nations in this area (religion)," Ban said.
The OIC themselves are currently seeking to turn "insults to Islam" and "Islamophobia" into internationally recognised criminal offences, in effect creating a protected class of citizens, and thus making a mockery of the concept of equality before the law.
Again, not a word about what Muslims themselves can and should be doing about the perceived problem of "Islamophobia." If Muslims want to dispel the perfectly justified fear and suspicion that non-Muslims have about them, here's how (with thanks to Robert Spencer of Jihad Watch) :
1. Focus your indignation on Muslims committing violent acts in the name of Islam, not on non-Muslims reporting on those acts.
2. Renounce definitively not just "terrorism", but any intention to incorporate any aspect of Sharia law into the British civil or criminal justice system, or into the constitutions of any non-Muslim state - even by peaceful means.
3. Begin open and comprehensive international programs in schools, mosques and madrassas all over the world to teach Muslims the imperative of coexisting peacefully as equals with non-Muslims on an indefinite basis.
4. Begin open and comprehensive international programs in schools, mosques and madrassas all over the world to teach against the ideas of violent jihad and Islamic supremacism.
5. Actively work with Western law enforcement officials to identify and apprehend jihadists within Western Muslim communities.
Do these five things, and - voila! - "Islamophobia" will disappear!